[Humanist] 29.917 events: digital history & philosophy of science

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 5 07:46:53 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 10:12:18 -0500
        From: Stephen Weldon <stephenpweldon at GMAIL.COM>
        Subject: Digital History and Philosophy of Science Conference -- Norman -- August 26-28

Here is a slightly revised version of the description of the conference
that we are hosting this coming August. I encourage scholars who have
digital projects in the field to consider attending this conference.

The Digital HPS Consortium  http://digitalhps.org/  is holding its annual
conference from *Friday morning August 26, through Sunday morning August
28, 2016* at the University of Oklahoma in Norman.

Conference title: "Varieties of Digital HPS: How Do We Make Unique Projects
Survive in a Networked and Evolving Environment?"

Conference Theme: As we move further into the networked digital age,
scholars are creating new types of digital scholarship with extraordinarily
varied methods, structures, and presentations. When taken together, the
richness of these diverse projects is extraordinary. Unlike traditional
published works, however, many of these projects go unnoticed and often
shut down for lack of support. The challenge of the current moment is to
build greater stability into the digital space by making projects more
visible (discoverability), by providing better ways for unique projects to
interact and talk to each other (interconnectivity), and by finding
archival spaces that will prevent projects from simply disappearing
(sustainability).

The *Digital HPS Consortium* is holding this conference to encourage
scholars who have unique projects to talk about these difficulties.
Questions to be considered: How can we make a more permanent and stable
home for our digital work? How can we encourage uniqueness but also pay
attention to standards and protocols? How can we build longevity into these
projects? Papers dealing with all types of digital projects in the history
and philosophy of science are welcome. The meeting will conclude with a
focused, practical discussion about building a general framework for
cooperation.

All meetings will take place in Bizzell Memorial Library on the campus of
the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Oklahoma. Please go to *Norman 2016
dHPS meeting information
<https://ou-lib-hos.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DHPS/Digital+HPS+annual+workshop%2C+August+26-28%2C+2016>
*for more information on the conference venue. Free registration for the
meeting can be found here:* http://dhps2016.eventbrite.com
 http://dhps2016.eventbrite.com . *At the registration site, you can enter
your suggestion for a paper, if you desire to make a presentation.

Register early as space is limited. *Registration deadline is May 31, 2016*.