[Humanist] 29.911 anti-DH

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 3 07:07:29 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>           (92)
        Subject: Re:  29.910 anti-DH

  [2]   From:    Don Braxton <don.braxton at gmail.com>                       (57)
        Subject: Anti-DH

  [3]   From:    { brad brace } <bbrace at eskimo.com>                        (15)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 29.909 promoting failures

        Date: Mon, 2 May 2016 12:17:11 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>

About the LA Times piece: there is a lot to disagree with and quite a few things to agree with in this piece.  If one does not agree with the authors'point of view--as I don't, at least not with its oddly uncritical understanding of what it means to be 'critical',  the essay offers a coherent narrative. Whether DH is a good thing or a bad thing or whether it is in fact any onte thing at all, is something that I'm supposed to give a talk about a Calgary a month from now, and I must confess that I'm grateful to the three authors for their polemical survey of the field--a little like Stanley Fish's trilogy in the New York a few years ago, but very different in other respects.