[Humanist] 29.826 Digital Mitford School: update

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 30 07:10:33 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 01:17:06 -0400
        From: Elisa Beshero-Bondar <ebb8 at pitt.edu>
        Subject: Update Re: Digital Mitford Coding School, June 25-27, 2016

Dear list members,
I write with updated information on this summer's Digital MItford Coding
School. We are extending the due date for applications: Those interested
should write to me at* ebb8 at pitt.edu  http://pitt.edu * *by Monday April
11, 2016 *indicating your interest (with registration fees due by mail by
May 16).

Based on the skills and interests of incoming applications thus far, *we
invite applicants to indicate if they seek XSLT and XQuery training and
experience*, and we will accommodate those interested. Among topics we
routinely cover are regular expression matching an up-conversion to XML and
TEI, as well as XPath, building on a module of work with TEI for manuscript
correspondence. We are well prepared to teach both introductory and
advanced coding (see my range of teaching materials at
http://newtfire.org/dh/), and we plan a *"Part 2" workshop experience* for
interested participants from last year and any who seek some advanced work
building on applications of XPath.

Here is our updated announcement, with more details on the Digital Mitford
project and the Coding School.

We invite you to join members of the Digital Mitford project team from
*Saturday
June 25 through Monday June 27, 2016* for the Fourth Annual Workshop Series
and Coding School, hosted by the newly established Center for the Digital
Text at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. As featured on its
public website, http://digitalmitford.org, the Digital Mitford project has
two major purposes:

   1. to produce the first comprehensive scholarly edition of the works and
   letters of Mary Russell Mitford, and
   2. to share knowledge of TEI XML and related humanities computing
   practices with all serious scholars interested in contributing to the
   project.

Our editing team meets face-to-face to brush up on project methods and make
major decisions, and we invite participants and prospective new editors to
learn our methods and think with us about project management challenges
during the Coding School. Please join us if you want to learn text encoding
methods and their applications in the Digital Humanities through hands-on
participation in a large-scale digital archive project. We will orient you
to coding by giving you hands-on experience with literary and historical
documents, from the careful encoding of markings on manuscript material to
autotagging enormous and complicated texts with regular expression
matching. And we invite you to think with us about how best to build a site
interface and visualizations to help explore the data we are gathering on
nineteenth-century networks of people, places, and texts.

Our workshops are held at the lovely Pitt-Greensburg
 http://greensburg.pitt.edu  campus, recently named one of the five most
scenic college campuses near Pittsburgh
<http://www.greensburg.pitt.edu/news/pitt-greensburg-named-one-five-most-scenic-college-campuses>.
This year’s Coding School is part of a series of Digital Humanities events
in the Pittsburgh area, as we are coordinating it to follow immediately
after the Keystone DH Conference  http://keystonedh.network/2016/  (from
June 22-24) in Pittsburgh. Our editors will convene in the days preceding
the conference, and the Coding School begins immediately afterwards. We
expect people to arrive on Friday afternoon or evening June 24 and depart
on Tuesday morning June 28,  with our Coding School in session from
Saturday morning June 25 through Monday afternoon June 27.
Who participates?

Though we draw our active editors from researchers of 19th-century
literature, we hope that all who join the Mitford project (whatever their
primary research field) will find good resources for professional scholarly
research and publication, and gain beneficial experience for individual
projects. Joining our workshop leads to a free first-year membership in the
Text Encoding Initiative, the international consortium establishing best
practices for encoding of digital texts.  We anticipate hosting two kinds
of audiences:

1) those who wish to join the Mitford project as active editors, and
2) equally welcome, those who wish to learn our methods to apply them to
their own projects (including repeat visitors who wish to review and
continue more advanced work).

What we teach and share:

   - Discussion of *best practices* for preparing digital scholarly
   editions as digital databases
   - *Textual scholarship and paleography* (working primarily with
   19th-century manuscript correspondence)
   - Participation in an active* “dig site”* for important data on networks
   of women writers, theaters, and publishers from the 18th and 19th centuries
   - Hands-on learning of text encoding, including the following:
      - *TEI XML  http://www.tei-c.org/index.xml  encoding* and best
      practices for* project sustainability and longevity*
      - Autotagging and* regular expression matching* to prepare digital
      texts
      - Hands-on experience with *XPath, code schemas, XSLT, and an XML
      database*
   - Perspective on *project management* and* interface development* as we
   work on developing our site interface
   - Individual and Group Instruction, working with our Explanatory Guides
   and Resources  http://newtfire.org/dh , organized and led by an elected
   member of the TEI Technical Council
    http://www.tei-c.org/Activities/Council/ .
   - Based on the applications we are receiving so far,* we plan to offer a
   Part 2 workshop to follow on this one*, to give participants more
   advanced experience with XPath, XSLT, and XQuery. See my instructional
   materials  http://newtfire.org/dh/  for a range of coding I am prepared
   to teach.

How to register:

Send me an e-mail (at *ebb8 at pitt.edu  http://pitt.edu *) *by Monday
April 11, 2016*, indicating your interest in the Digital Mitford Coding
School. A registration fee is required of all who are not actively
affiliated as editors with the project:

   1. Students, Adjunct Instructors, or Independent Scholars: *$180*
   2. Full-Time Faculty Members and Librarians: *$300*

All registration fees are to be paid by check to the University of
Pittsburgh at Greensburg, and are *due by mail by May 16, 2015*.  Please
mail checks to: The Digital Mitford Project, c/o Elisa Beshero-Bondar, U.
of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601-5804.
(Donations to the project above and beyond this amount are, of course,
quite welcome.)
Budgeting for the June 2016 Workshops:

   - We will cover the costs of residence in suites (with kitchens and good
   wireless internet) at the Pitt-Greensburg campus and will arrange for
   licenses for an extended (90-day) period to use our XML editing software .
   - We cannot cover the costs of travel to Pitt-Greensburg, but we can and
   do coordinate rides from the Pittsburgh International Airport, the Latrobe
   regional airport, and the Amtrak train stations in Pittsburgh and in
   Greensburg.
   - We ask each participant to investigate local funding sources to help
   cover the costs of travel here.

Thanks, everyone, for reading and sharing with interested parties! We look
forward to seeing many new and familiar faces at beautiful Pitt-Greensburg
in June. Please feel free to write me with any questions in advance of our
application due date of *Monday, April 11*.
Sincerely,
Elisa

--
Elisa Beshero-Bondar, PhD