[Humanist] 29.821 ageing analogies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 29 05:25:54 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    lachance at chass.utoronto.ca                                (15)
        Subject: Re:  analogies that show their age

  [2]   From:    peter jones <h2cmng at yahoo.co.uk>                          (15)
        Subject: Re:  29.818 ageing analogies (Serres, rivers, Hodges' model)

        Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 10:21:51 -0400 (EDT)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca

Willard

I offer this example of an analogy showing the marks of its epoch. It is
from Mrs. W. H. Salter "The Evidence for Telepathy" in <i>Essays in Honour
of Gilbert Murray</i> (1936).

<quote>
Hyperaesthesia and telepathy may occur simultaneously in such a way that
it is difficult to disentangle them, just as two factors of Mendelian
inheritance may be mingled in something which is the product of both; but
for all the underlying factors remain fundamentally distinct.
</quote>

What are described as "factors" would now be called "genes".

--
Francois Lachance
Scholar-at-large