[Humanist] 29.818 ageing analogies

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 27 09:17:01 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Marinella Testori <testorimarinella at gmail.com>            (69)
        Subject: Re:  29.816 ageing analogies?

  [2]   From:    David Zeitlyn <dzeitlyn at gmail.com>                         (5)
        Subject: 29.816 ageing analogies

        Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 11:33:51 +0000
        From: Marinella Testori <testorimarinella at gmail.com>

Dear Willard,

Following my recent reply, I have found more information regarding the
topic you suggested.

William Paley (1743-1805) wrote the "Natural Theology or Evidences of the
Existence and Attributes of the Deity", which comprises the most notorious
explanation of the so-called "watchmaker analogy", comparing the structure
of living universe to a watch. It is intriguing his passage: "In crossing a
heath, suppose I pitched my foot against a stone, and were asked how the
stone came to be there; I might possibly answer that, for anything I knew
to the contrary, it had lain there forever: nor would it perhaps be very
easy to show the absurdity of this answer. But suppose I had found a watch
upon the ground, and it should be inquired how the watch happened to be in
that place; I should hardly think of the answer I had before given, that
for anything I knew, the watch might have always been there [...]. There
must have existed, at some time, and at some place or other, an artificer
or artificers, who formed [the watch] for the purpose which we find it
actually to answer, who comprehended its construction, and designed its use
[...]. Every indication of contrivance, every manifestation of design,
which existed in the watch, exists in the works of nature, with the
difference, on the side of nature, of being greater or more, and that in a
degree which exceeds all computation". The full text of the book is
available here: https://archive.org/details/naturaltheologyo1802pale

The idea of a watchmaker and intelligently-shaped universe was then
criticized by Charles Darwin and other authors.

I hope this may be useful for our discussion!

Thank you again.
Marinella