[Humanist] 29.797 remembering Hypatia?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 21 07:12:19 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 17:39:36 -0700
        From: Ari Belenkiy <ari.belenkiy at gmail.com>
        Subject: remembering Hypatia of Alexandria

Dear list members,

Let me ask you to endorse my petition "to commemorate the first female
astronomer Hypatia of Alexandria on the day of the vernal equinox".

https://www.change.org/p/canada-s-parliament-commemorating-the-first-female-astronomer-hypatia-of-alexandria

As some historians argue, she could have been the last "director" of
the Alexandrian Library and Museion.

While this is a matter of speculation, the reasons for her murder,
explained in my recent paper published by Vigiliae Christianae,
point out to the conflict within the early Church over the Paschal
calendar,
or rather over its basic landmark - the vernal (spring) equinox day,
which incidentally falls today, March 20.

Ari Belenkiy

Vancouver BC
Canada