[Humanist] 29.794 Sebastian Rahtz 1955-2016

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Mar 19 09:17:33 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 10:39:32 -0400 (EDT)
        From: David Sewell <dsewell at virginia.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 29.789 Sebastian Rahtz 1955-2016

Re Willard's comment that "Sebastian [Rahtz], it seems, was one to leave just
before things happened, while they were still full of the potential only some of
which inevitably was realised":

Some time ago I purchased a refrigerator magnet bearing Picasso's words, "Les
autres parlent, moi je travaille". That's as good an epitaph for Sebastian as
any I can think of. The digital publications I'm involved with at the University
of Virginia Press probably wouldn't exist without the Text Encoding Initiative,
and the deliverables of the TEI almost certainly wouldn't have the scope and
power they do today without Sebastian's years of absolutely dedicated service to
the TEI Guidelines and associated stylesheets and tools. Certainly Sebastian has
departed the TEI community leaving very little of its potential unfulfilled,
though far too soon in human terms.

David Sewell
University of Virginia Press