[Humanist] 29.789 Sebastian Rahtz 1955-2016

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 18 07:36:15 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 06:27:42 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: R.I.P. Sebastian Rahtz 13 February 1955 - 15 March 2016

Dear colleagues,

Our one-time colleague and pioneer with me of Humanist, Sebastian Rahtz,
has died. Some here will have seen James Cummings' brief notice on the
Digital Classicist list, reproduced below as the second included
message. But such was (or is?) his unforgettable and enlightening spirit
that he seldom left quietly nor left only once. A few of us remaining on
Humanist since the early days will remember the first departure,
celebrated on 30 March 1989, less than two years after Humanist began
when I posted the obit of SPQR (his adopted initials), also included
below. Those were heady days, when those of us around then were figuring
out what Humanist might be, indeed building what now is called 'digital
humanities'. Sebastian left Humanist also just before the great 1989
conference in Toronto, first joint event of the ACH and ALLC. Sebastian,
it seems, was one to leave just before things happened, while they were
still full of the potential only some of which inevitably was realised.
And now he has left for good, as far as we know, just before Humanist
celebrates its 30th birthday, on 7 May of this year. About the time of
his first leaving he left behind the attached image to commemorate his
time here. I send it along as commemoration of his time here in a
different sense and as a stimulus to historical reflections.

Farewell, friend of Humanist!

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1458282722_2016-03-18_willard.mccarty@mccarty.org.uk_8850.2.gif