[Humanist] 29.760 Rare Book School on the medieval ms in 21C

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 8 13:07:43 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 13:34:56 -0500
        From: Dot Porter <dot.porter at gmail.com>
        Subject: Rare Book School: The Medieval Manuscript in the 21st Century

Hi everyone,

This summer, for the third year running, Will Noel and I will be teaching
our course for the Rare Book School, The Medieval Manuscript in the 21st
Century. I'll paste the description below, and you can find more
information here: http://rarebookschool.org/courses/manuscripts/m95/

The course will be at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia (not
in Charlottesville), 10-15 July. We'll start accepting applicants soon, so
if you want to attend this summer I encourage you to apply now! Application
information is here:

Feel free to email me with any questions.

Thanks!

Dot Porter

Course Description:

This course is designed to introduce students of both the digital
humanities and manuscript studies to the concepts and realities of working
with medieval manuscripts in the twenty-first century. Through the course,
students and faculty will examine materials from the collections of the
Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books, and Manuscripts, as well
as digitized versions of those materials and others.

Students in the course will consider four issues relating to using medieval
manuscripts in a digital world. The first issue is theoretical, considering
the relationship between medieval manuscripts and their digital
counterparts, and questioning the notion of digital surrogacy. What does
“digital surrogacy” mean and how might it affect our consideration of the
physical objects represented through the surrogate? The second issue is the
practical one of imbuing best practices when creating digital assets out of
medieval manuscripts. If we are to digitize manuscripts, how can we ensure
that those digital versions are the best they can be? And again: what does
that mean? The third issue concerns the present landscape for digital
medieval manuscripts (and medieval studies more generally), including
current publication technologies and the place of Open Data. The fourth
issue is that of building resources with and for digitized medieval
manuscripts. What tools are available to enable us to create something new?
As a final project, students and faculty in the course will work together
to build something new—either “hacking” an application to display and sort
medieval manuscript data, or creating an exhibition using an existing
platform (such as Omeka). The specific direction of the final project will
depend upon the skill sets available in the room.

Students should plan to bring a laptop with them to class.

In their personal statement, applicants should indicate their background,
special interests, and expectations from the course. They should clearly
state their experience working with manuscripts or manuscript-related
courses they have taken, as well as any experience using digital
technologies. Although it is expected that some students will have some
technological experience, it is not a requirement for the course.

--
Dot Porter (MA, MSLS)
Email: dot.porter at gmail.com
Personal blog: dotporterdigital.org