[Humanist] 29.757 computing across the curriculum

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 8 12:05:26 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Patrick Sahle <sahle at uni-koeln.de>                        (69)
        Subject: Re:  29.754 computing across the curriculum?

  [2]   From:    Quinn Dombrowski <quinnd at berkeley.edu>                    (46)

        Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 10:42:25 +0100
        From: Patrick Sahle <sahle at uni-koeln.de>

At the University of Cologne there is, for 8 years now (from 2008 on)
the "IT certificate of the faculty for the humanities". It consists of
four concerted courses (3 credit points each) which fill exactly the
"studium generale" (a 12 cp free choice section) part of all the regular
study programs. The courses are open to all students at the faculty for
the humanities (currently ca. 18.000), are funded directly by the
faculty, are given twice each every term and are restricted to ca. 25
participants. In the first years the courses were very much focused on
technologies for the humanities like information processing with
x-technologies (XML, XPath, XSLT), metadata standards (DC, LIDO, TEI,
CIDOC-CRM), semantic web, but also generic stuff like sql+php (as
applied to humanities resources) or content management systems. Nowadays
they are more generic. The four courses are now "advanced IT basics"
(with some very basic stuff plus image processing and web servers),
"advanced web basics" (with html, css, javascript, jQuery), "tools and
methods in DH" (with web frameworks and more javascript) and "digital
object processing - cms vs digital library" (with drupal, wordpress,
typo3, DSpace, Fedora Commons). The program is extremly succesful with
maybe 700 to 900 (I would have to ask for the exact number) different
participants (and much more applicants!) in the last 8 years and some
hundred certificate holders.

I see, that there is an immense amount of experience with educating
students from humanities subjects in that program. As working for a DH
center and thus as a potential taker of grads from that program, I would
however like to see the curriculum revised somehow so that it would
better address the reality and the needs in digital humanities research.

Best, Patrick Sahle

Am 01.03.2016 um 08:53 schrieb Humanist Discussion Group:
>                   Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 29, No. 754.
>

>          Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 16:48:29 -0500
>          From: Carrie Johnston <cej007 at bucknell.edu>
>          Subject: Computing Across the Curriculum?
>

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I have been involved in some informal discussions regarding what a
> "Computing Across the Curriculum" requirement might look like. Ideally, it
> would somewhat resemble a Writing Across the Curriculum model, in which
> students learn quantitative or computational skills specific to their major.
>
> Does anyone work at an institution, or know of one, that employs a similar
> requirement? We are looking for any and all models--successful, complete
> failure, or anything in between.
>
> Thank you for your time,
> Carrie Johnston
>
> Carrie Johnston, Ph.D.
> cej007 at bucknell.edu | 570-577-3232
> CLIR Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Scholarship
> Bucknell University, ITEC, Bertrand 317

Apl. Prof. Dr. Patrick Sahle
Koordinierungsstelle Digital Humanities der Nordrhein-Westfälischen
Akademie der Wissenschaften
Cologne Center for eHumanities (CCeH)  http://www.cceh.uni-koeln.de/
Data Center for the Humanities  http://www.dch.uni-koeln.de/
DiXiT ITN  http://www.dixit.uni-koeln.de/
Institut für Dokumentologie und Editorik  http://www.i-d-e.de

Postanschrift: Cologne Center for eHumanities (CCeH), Universität zu
Köln, Albertus-Magnus-Platz, D-50923 Köln
Büro: Meister-Ekkehart-Str. 11, Raum 2.04; Telefon: +49 - (0)221 - 470 3894