[Humanist] 30.213 events: visualisation of ancient sources

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 28 09:22:26 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 12:34:46 +0100
        From: Gabriel BODARD <Gabriel.bodard at SAS.AC.UK>
        Subject: Seminar: Exploring ancient sources with data visualisation

Digital Classicist London 2016 Seminar

Institute of Classical Studies
Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU
Friday July 29th at 16:30 in room 234

*Silke Vanbeselaere (Leuven)*
*Exploring ancient sources with data visualisation*

Inspired by Padgett and Ansell’s seminal paper on the Medici, we aim to
explore relationships attested in ancient Theban property contracts and
compare the resulting networks. A substantial amount of research has
been undertaken into Theban scribes and contractual parties, but
witnesses are often left out. We aim to tackle the issue of who these
witnesses were, what status and connections they had in the Theban
community, and how they were chosen, including often-overlooked
information on scribal traditions in the Ancient Near East.

Details and recommended readings at:
http://digitalclassicist.org/wip/wip2016-09sv.html

The seminar will be livecast on Youtube at: https://youtu.be/KNbBAMkXy3E

ALL WELCOME