[Humanist] 30.198 tools

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jul 24 08:47:41 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 12:36:19 -0400
        From: Molly Des Jardin <mdesjardin at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  30.195 tools

I agree with Andrea. I find it more useful to think about
methodologies than tools. In my past projects I've had to "roll my
own" quite frequently, and I'd rather hear about the method behind
someone's implementation - regardless of whether it's self-made or an
off-the-shelf tool - than just "I used Gephi to make this
visualization." I'm not saying that in general that's where the
conversation ends, but I have sat through more than one presentation
that doesn't explain what's going on in the implementation or the why
of using it, and that's frustrating.

Molly

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Humanist Discussion Group

--
Molly C. Des Jardin, PhD
http://www.mollydesjardin.com