[Humanist] 30.187 postdoc in history (Toronto)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 19 07:24:56 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 15:58:09 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: postdoc, history, Toronto

DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY
Faculty of Arts and Science University of Toronto
JOB POSTING – POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW

Area of Research: DECIMA Project [Digitally Encoded Census Information
and Mapping Archive]

Description of duties: This post-doctoral fellowship will allow the
successful candidate to experiment with ways of expanding the collection
and presentation of data within a digital mapping project focused on
sixteenth century Florence.

The DECIMA project emerged as an international collaborative effort
based at the University of Toronto, and dedicated to developing a
sensory map of the Renaissance city. We began by geo-referencing the
data from a 1561 tax census to a 1584 aerial view of Florence, and are
currently adding data from other tax censuses. Our next challenge lies
in experimenting with how to integrate sense experience (hearing, touch)
into the map, and to augment the mapping experience with sensory
analysis. We aim with this both to expand the current map of Florence
while also developing templates for the sensory mapping of early modern
cities generally. For more information about the DECIMA project, please
visit: decima.chass.utoronto.ca

The candidate will work closely with members of the DECIMA team and
participate in workshops, working groups, and periodic pedagogical
activities. The candidate will be experimenting directly with the DECIMA
map, and will also have the opportunity to pursue individual research
projects; there is no formal teaching as such associated with the
position. The candidate will also consult with other important and
related scholarly and computational resources at UofT. The Fellow will
have the opportunity to present her/his work in panels and workshops to
show how digital humanities techniques have shaped their research,
writing, and presentation of evidence.

[For more information see the attached.]

University

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1468854122_2016-07-18_willard.mccarty@mccarty.org.uk_9990.2.pdf