[Humanist] 30.179 help improve DH Wikipedia article

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 16 09:18:03 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 10:00:19 +0200
        From: maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  30.177 help improve DH Wikipedia article?

Il 15/07/16 07:03, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
     Following on from my talk on academia and Wikipedia at the aaDH
     Digital Humanities Australasia Conference in June, I would like to
     invite others in the community to help improve the Digital Humanities
     article on the English-language Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/
     wiki/Digital_humanities).

     This article receives over 5,000 pageviews a month and is the top hit
     on Google when someone searches for Digital Humanities, in effect
     making it one of the public faces of DH. Yet the article is
     relatively short and only receives a grade of C on the quality scales
     of various WikiProjects. Wikipedia can be a sensitive topic for
     academics, but I believe that its dominance necessitates our getting
     involved and improving the quality and diversity of information
     available, especially concerning our area of research/teaching.

     My goal is to raise the article to 'featured article' status by the
     end of the year (and try to have it appear on Wikipedia's home page
     at some point too). I encourage others to either edit the article
     themselves and communicate on the Talk page, or contribute to a
     discussion of what information belongs in a solid encyclopedia entry.

at first reading the article can (must) be usefully integrated with contents
relating DH to more disciplines and more cultural perspectives. DH are not
monolithic, rather they express in_a_culturally_blended_way a global interest
for intersecting "the humanities" and "the digital": this means that there are
many, culturally influenced, realizations of the concept of DH. which in turn
is the reason why if one has to go beyond the more global and general
descriptions, differences start to appear between people, groups, disciplines,
etc. rather than try to unify, this has to be cleverly accepted and managed.
a wikipedia article is a good place, and to manage the plurality both a
substructure in the article dealing with associations and groups operating in
the DH field, and a substructure by countries and/or languages describing what
in those places DH are meant to be, could be useful.

maurizio
--
Quando sono diventato padre ho capito che i genitori hanno due compiti
fondamentali: