[Humanist] 30.173 computer theology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jul 15 06:57:35 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:17:45 +0200
        From: Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>
        Subject: Re:  30.170 computer theology

Dear Willard,

And as Arthur C Clarke told us, in his 1953 short story, "The
nine billion names of God," computers mattered to those who
study God.  (Are the truths in fiction different from the
truths in religious texts?)

This is easily one of my favourite SciFi stories.  It's well
worth a read, I think.  It's an early work in the Digital
Humanities, perhaps?  It too is about "Where causality stops,
ecstasy begins," sort of.

It can be found here

  http://letras.cabaladada.org/letras/nine_billion_names.pdf ,

amongst other places.