[Humanist] 30.163 pubs: more on Unflattening; D-Lib for July/August

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 12 07:24:53 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>                    (91)
        Subject: Re:  30.158 pubs: Unflattening

  [2]   From:    Bonita Wilson <bwilson at cnri.reston.va.us>                 (31)
        Subject: The July/August 2016 issue of D-Lib Magazine is now
                available

        Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 09:54:23 +0200
        From: Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>

Dear Willard,

I'd like to support your recommendation of Nick Sousanis'
Unflattening (Harvard 2015).

This is some of the best scholarship I know of.  A big claim,
I know, but I thoroughly belive this.  It really is an amazing
book.

It is an experiment, as the publisher's blurb describes it.
But it's more than this, much more.  It doesn't just show how
to make a new way to communicate, this book is itself an
exploration and discovery of new ways of thinking, seeing,
conceptualising, understanding, and understanding how to
understand.  Reading, I mean looking at and seeing this book,
pondering the drawings, how they are drawn, what they depict,
how they depict, what they say, is, as you say Willard, a
delightful and enlightening journey.  It's a learning
experience: a beautifully and thoughtfully sign posted way to
working out new ways of thinking about, knowing about, and
understanding things we may think we're already familiar with,
and sure about, perhaps too sure.

There are too many things to remark upon in this book, but, to
point to just one remarkable insight, among many others, I
like pages 108 and 109, in Chapter 6, Ruts ...  "How did we
get here."  It say something, I think, to the ongoing
conversation about theory.

I'd say this book is for everybody to see, no matter which
discipline we work in.

Could digital drawing have resulted in such a wonderful book?

Best regards,

Tim