[Humanist] 30.149 what is theory?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jul 6 08:14:00 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2016 11:09:39 -0400
        From: "David L. Hoover" <david.hoover at nyu.edu>
        Subject: Re:  30.140 what is theory?

I think Jim Rovira is right that many humanities questions are not
amenable to purely empirical approaches or theories. I tend to be less
interested in such questions than in ones that are more amenable to
testable theories, but I would not claim they are not worth asking, as I
have recently written the the new /Debates in the Digital Humanities/.
One of Stephen Ramsay's examples seems a good one. He suggests that the
claim that Woolf's /The Waves/ has a playful formal style is not
amenable to empirical research, and I think this is true, thought trying
to formulate the question in a form in which it might be amenable seems
worth making. On the other hand, Freud's theory  does not seem testable
in any meaningful sense, and I find such theories of limited interest.
In contrast, Skinner's theory of operant conditioning as a way of
explaining and predicting _some kinds_ of human behavior is easily testable.

Jim is also right, of course, that poems don't exist without human
beings, but human beings do seem to me to fit precisely in the category
with which he tries to contrast them: human beings are "material objects
that exist independently of human agency". There's no reason, in
principal, that the products of human agency or that agency itself
shouldn't be amenable to strictly empirical study, and there has been a
great deal of such research already.

I think my colleague John Guillory is right in arguing that "If
positivism is a holistic or totalizing ideology that reserves the name
of knowledge only for the results of the scientific method (narrowly
defined), it does not follow that the critical disciplines must be based
on a counter-holism in which everything is interpretation, in which the
very possibility of a positive knowledge is called into question" ("The
Sokal Affair and the History of Criticism." /Critical Inquiry/,
28(2):2002: 504)

David Hoover

--
            David L. Hoover, Professor of English, NYU
          212-998-8832       244 Greene Street, Room 409