[Humanist] 30.148 events: geographical names in historical sources

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 5 09:38:39 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2016 14:41:11 +0100
        From: Simona Stoyanova <metathesis.quantitatum at gmail.com>
        Subject: Digital Classicist London: Geographical names in historical sources

Digital Classicist London 2016 Seminar

Institute of Classical Studies
Senate House, Malet Street, London WC1E 7HU
Friday July 8th at 16:30 in room 234

*Chiara Palladino (Leipzig & Bari)*
*Annotating and resolving geographical names in historical sources*

This seminar will focus on ancient Greek and Roman texts containing
geographical information referred to real-world space. These sources
challenge our perspective on way-finding and navigation, as the way they
interpreted and expressed space was substantially different from ours. We
will inspect currently existing strategies for the representation
geospatial documents in the digital environment, focusing on the topics of
Named Entity Recognition, semi-automatic and geo- annotation. We will
highlight existing problems in the encoding of geospatial patterns in
ancient geographical descriptions, focusing on what is currently available
and what can be done to improve this research.

ALL WELCOME

Recommended reading: http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/wip2016-06cp.html

Live screencast: https://youtu.be/Ng4pJNdkRWQ

--