[Humanist] 30.141 events: historians computing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 2 15:33:22 CEST 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 15:39:07 +0100
        From: Melissa Terras <m.terras at ucl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Tuesday 5th July, UCLDH Seminar, Jean Bauer - If you give a historian code: Adventures in the Digital Humanities

Colleagues,

You are welcome to attend this UCLDH seminar in London on Tuesday 5th July. Jean Bauer from Princeton will be talking about her work, and we are very pleased to have her while she is in town.

best

Melissa

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: "Stagg, Lucy" <lucy.stagg at ucl.ac.uk>
> Subject: If you give a historian code: Adventures in the Digital Humanities
> Date: 1 July 2016 at 15:12:50 BST
>
> Dear friends of UCLDH,
>
> "If you give a historian code: Adventures in the Digital Humanities"
>
> In this seminar Jean Bauer, Associate Director of the Digital Humanities Center at Princeton, will discuss affordances of digital tools and the value of programming knowledge.
>
> When: Tuesday, 5 July 2016 from 17:30 to 18:30
> Where: Arts & Humanities Common Room - G24, Foster Court UCL, Malet Place, London, WC1E 7JG
>
> All welcome and there will be drinks and discussion after the talk. Please note registration is required: https://ucldhbauer.eventbrite.co.uk <https://ucldhbauer.eventbrite.co.uk/>
>
> Speaker
>
> Jean Bauer is Associate Director of the Digital Humanities Center at Princeton, where she leads a team of programmers, project managers and DH consultants. Prior to working at Princeton she was the Digital Humanities Librarian at Brown University from 2011-2014. Through a combination of formal training and curiosity Bauer is an early American historian, database designer, and photographer. At the University of Virginia she developed and built The Early American Foreign Service Database (www.eafsd.org  http://www.eafsd.org/ ), which she used to do analysis for her dissertation “Republicans of Letters: The Early American Foreign Service as Information Network, 1775-1825.” She blogs and tweets at http://packets.jeanbauer.com  http://packets.jeanbauer.com/  and @jean_bauer, respectively. For more information, see her website www.jeanbauer.com  http://www.jeanbauer.com/

> Lucy Stagg
> Centre Coordinator, Centre for Editing Lives and Letters (CELL) www.livesandletters.ac.uk  http://www.livesandletters.ac.uk/
> Centre Coordinator, Centre for Early Modern Exchanges (EME) www.ucl.ac.uk/eme  http://www.ucl.ac.uk/eme
> Acting Coordinator, Centre for Digital Humanities (UCLDH) www.ucl.ac.uk/dh  http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dh
>
> Working days: Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays
> Room 111, Foster Court, UCL, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT
> lucy.stagg at ucl.ac.uk <mailto:lucy.stagg at ucl.ac.uk>
> 0207 679 2784 (external) / 32784 (internal)

-----------------
Melissa M. Terras MA MSc DPhil CLTHE FCLIP FBCS CITP FHEA
Director, UCL Centre for Digital Humanities
Vice Dean of Research, UCL Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Professor of Digital Humanities
Department of Information Studies
Foster Court
University College London
Gower Street
WC1E 6BT

Tel: 020-7679-7206 (direct), 020-7679-7204 (dept), 020-7383-0557 (fax)
Email: m.terras at ucl.ac.uk
Web: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/melissaterras  http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/people/melissaterras
Blog: http://melissaterras.org
Twitter: @melissaterras