[Humanist] 29.636 events: Japanese game studies; cultural memory; interwar telecommunications

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 19 07:11:41 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Batty, Hilary" <hilary.batty at kcl.ac.uk>                  (10)
        Subject: Cultural Memory - Public Lecture 5 January 2016

  [2]   From:    Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>                  (39)
        Subject: Replaying Japan 2016

  [3]   From:    Kapil Subramanian <K.Subramanian at LEEDS.AC.UK>             (16)
        Subject: Workshop on Interwar Telecommunications History, 29th
                January, University of Leeds

        Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:47:15 +0000
        From: "Batty, Hilary" <hilary.batty at kcl.ac.uk>

On Friday 5th February 2016, 3.30 – 5.30pm the Centre for Narrative Research (University of East London) and the Centre for Language, Discourse and Communication (King’s College London) are holding a public lecture on the theme of Cultural Memory, followed by the launch of Jens Brockmeier’s new book, Beyond the Archive: Memory, Narrative, and the Autobiographical Process.

[Our longstanding view of memory and remembering is in the midst of a profound transformation. This transformation does not only affect our concept of memory or a particular idea of how we remember and forget; it is a wider cultural process. In order to understand it, one must step back and consider what is meant when we say memory. The studies of this book offer such a perspective, synthesizing understandings of remembering from the neurosciences, humanities, social studies, and in key works of autobiographical literature and life-writing. Brockmeier’s conclusions force us to radically rethink our very notion of memory as an archive of the past, one that suggests the natural existence of a distinctive human capacity (or a set of neuronal systems) enabling us to "encode," "store," and "recall" past experiences. Propelled by new scientific insights and digital technologies, a new picture is emerging. It shows that there are many cultural forms of remembering and forgetting, embedded in a broad spectrum of human activities and artifacts. This picture is more complex than any notion of memory as storage of the past would allow. It comes with a number of alternatives to the archival memory, one of which Brockmeier describes as the narrative approach. The narrative approach not only permits us to explore the storied weave of our most personal form of remembering - that is, the autobiographical- it also sheds new light on the interrelations among memory, self and culture.]

The event will take place at King’s College London, Franklin-Wilkins Building (Room 1.11), map: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/campuslife/campuses/waterloo/Waterloo.aspx

Programme

3.30 – 5.00pm Panel                       Between the individual and the social: Panel on Cultural Memory
Participants: Molly Andrews, Alessandra Fasulo, Alexandra Georgakopoulou, Ann Phoenix, Linda Sandino

5.00pm Book Launch                      Beyond the Archive: Memory, Narrative, and the autobiographical Process
Presentation by Jens Brockmeier
5.30pm Reception                           Reception

We look forward to seeing you there.