[Humanist] 29.618 subtle influences at home?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jan 13 08:24:44 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2016 07:17:22 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: subtle influences at home

Those who know about the history of cybernetics will be familiar with
the idea of homeostasis (self-regulation), with origins in both
physiology and mechanical systems. Many of us, but not all, were shaped
in subtle ways by the implementation of this idea in the ordinary
thermostat. For what they might be worth, my musings this morning begin
on the one hand with some people I know, not far away from here, who
remain basically unaffected by homeostasis -- they turn the heat on and
off, end of story -- and on the other by the latest round of
thermostats, such as the Nest (https://nest.com), which domesticate
machine-learning.

There are stages in between, for example timers and somewhat more
sophisticated programmable thermostats. But the Nest et al simply learn
from one's temperature-setting behaviour. I wonder, has anyone studied
the influence of technology on such a low-key domestic level? The Nest
is said to light up when you approach it -- a friendly hello, as it were
-- but is otherwise apparently quite demure, quietly forgettable, unlike
the smartphone not drawing one's attention to it but receding into the
background, therefore, I would think, powerfully influential.

Comments?

Group, Western Sydney University