[Humanist] 29.613 where attention goes

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 12 08:38:06 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 12:51:27 +0100
        From: Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>
        Subject: Re:  29.595 where attention goes?

Dear Willard,

I didn't know of William Ashworth's remarks about "inscribing
the workings of human intelligence into a machine."  Very
nice!  And thank you!

We have continued this tradition.  More recent examples being
the brain is like a gigantic (analogue) telephone exchange,
and more recently still, like a (big) computer, or now the
internet.

Can it be any other way?  Can we come to understand things
without adopting or at least leaning upon notions drawn
directly from the things we can build?  Could we have come to
understand bird flight without building working
heavier-than-air flying machines?

Making things, and making them work well, and keeping them
working well, certainly does demand good knowledge and
understanding of things.  It's thus not surprising that it can
appear to offer a good foundation upon which to build an
understanding of things we didn't make.  Where else could we
find such a foundation?  Or, how else might we acquire one?

On to Northrop Frye.  As you know, I'm not (by training) of
the Humanities, nor am I a scholar of literature.  However, I
do have an interest in Frye because of his development and
promotion of literary criticism as a science.  For me, Frye
overly stretches the notion of science to cover his way of
doing literary criticism, but it's not for me to complain
about this, not here at least.

What I think is worth asking here is, does doing good Frye-ian
literary criticism involve doing the kinds of statistical
analysis of texts that we can now do, and which we see being
done?  My (possibly wrong) way of understanding Frye-ian
literary criticism is that for it to be done well we need to
look carefully and extensively at how texts are built, using
notions and concepts drawn from our attempts to understand
them as carefully crafted human built things.

Today, if you wanted to understand airplanes, you could do the
same--though first acquiring a degree in aeronautical
engineering would be a more conventional way: you could look
carefully at how airplanes are built and what the people who
build them do, how, and with what.  What would not work, I
think, would be attempts to do statistical analysis of all the
many many kinds of airplane designs we now have.

Such statistical analysis might give you some new and possibly
useful categories and surface similarities and
diss-similarities, but it will never tell you how we build
good airplanes, nor anything about how we are able to do this.
For that, you need to talk with, and work with, the people who
do this.  I'd say it's the same for written texts too.

Aeronautical engineering is a humanities subject too.  We just
forgot this along the way somewhere.  Building good texts is
an engineering subject, so you can't leave out the people who
do it if you want to really understand it.

Best regards,

Tim