[Humanist] 29.611 new project: Black Quotidian

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jan 11 08:11:36 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 07:52:47 -0700
        From: Matthew Delmont <mdelmon1 at asu.edu>
        Subject: New digital history project - “Black Quotidian: Everyday History in African-American Newspapers”

Dear Colleagues,

I am writing to announce the launch of a new Scalar digital history
project, “Black Quotidian: Everyday History in African-American
Newspapers.” http://blackquotidian.com/

Black Quotidian is designed to highlight everyday moments and lives in
African-American history. This site features historical articles from black
newspapers such as the Atlanta Daily World, Baltimore Afro-American,
Chicago Defender, and Philadelphia Tribune. These newspapers—digitized as
part of the ProQuest Black Newspaper collection—are among the most
important sources for understanding black history and culture in the
twentieth century. By emphasizing the ordinary or mundane aspects of
history I hope both to call attention to people and events that are not
commonly featured in textbooks, documentaries, or Black History Month
celebrations, while also casting new light on well-known black history
subjects.

Each day I will post at least one newspaper article from that date in
history and a brief commentary.  I would love to have other faculty,
graduate students, and undergraduate students contribute to Black
Quotidian.  Please e-mail me <matthew.delmont at asu.edu> if you are
interested.  I will be experimenting with different types of posts over the
course of the year, so I welcome creative ways of using black newspapers.
You do not need to know how to use Scalar or have any particular technical
skills.  If your institution does not subscribe to ProQuest Historical
Black Newspapers, e-mail me and I can help you find a select of articles
related to your research interests.  If you have access to other historical
black newspapers, I am happy to have posts on those as well.  It would be
great if you could mention this project to other colleagues and students
who might be interested in following or contributing.

Thanks,

Matt Delmont

Matt Delmont
Associate Professor
School of Historical, Philosophical & Religious Studies
Arizona State University

Website: http://mattdelmont.com/
Book websites:
http://whybusingfailed.com/