[Humanist] 29.747 ontologies and ontology?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Feb 27 09:57:41 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 08:42:45 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: ontologies and ontology?

Here is a question. Presumably most of us already know that the plural of
the philosophical term "ontology" (that which exists) is commonplace in
computing. We speak "ontologies" to refer models of that which is defined to
exist within particular contexts or artificial worlds. What I would like to
know is how often (and some examples of where, if possible) "ontology" is
used in the artificial context explicitly, consciously to refer to an
imaginary or hypothetical world, not the real one -- in which there is no
intention to approximate that which exists.

Many thanks for pointers.

Group, Western Sydney University