[Humanist] 29.720 Darwin Letters and Drupal

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 18 07:06:58 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 04:43:16 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  29.712 Darwin Letters website

While I mostly second Peter's comments here I'm not sure that the problem
lies in the interface design per se but perhaps in the tools used to
construct it. According to whatcms.org the Darwin Letters site uses Drupal.
We have extensive experience with Drupal both on the AustESE project and on
Charles Harpur. But we found that content management systems in general
tend to do what it says on the tin: they manage content that *you* write.
Whereas a digital scholarly edition is a collection of content that a
historical author wrote. And the two types of content are not really
compatible. To get the functionality we needed out of Drupal we ended up
reducing its role to that of a mere container of our data and
functionality. So in Charles Harpur less than 5% of the site is actually
provided by Drupal. The needs of a scholarly edition are not the needs of a
news or special interest site, but that is the kind of material a CMS is
designed to manage. For example, handling variants, annotations, providing
comparison tools and the many special visualisations required for a
successful edition are hard to do inside a CMS using CMS tools. Although we
are practised hypocrites in that we too have followed this route it does
bias the site towards stuff you write as opposed to stuff the author in
question wrote.

I should add that in holding up charles-harpur.org as an example of
interface things like browsing that this site is not yet complete.

Desmond Schmidt
eResearch -ITEE
University of Queensland

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 3:59 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <