[Humanist] 29.709 Darwin letters website

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 14 09:46:50 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2016 06:15:48 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  29.708 Darwin Letters: new website

Hi Francis,

you say comments are welcome. So here are mine.

I think it looks beautiful. It's very smooth and caters for the needs of
the casual user and schoolchildren really well. But I think scholars would
like to see a more detailed browse interface that summarises all the
letters ordered by time, author or subject matter, etc. If you look at our
Harpur site (charles-harpur.org) you'll see we organise the contents in a
variety of ways, whereas you seem only to have search as a global entry
point. Although you have more letters (8000) than our 700 poems you could
lazy-load the indices. For example, our "By anthology" tab only loads the
contents when you expand a link. Something similar might work in your case.

I'm also rather surprised that facsimilies of the letters are not
apparently included. A combined image+transcription page would be helpful
and not too hard to do, as letters tend to be short.

Desmond Schmidt
eResearch ITEE
University of Queensland

On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at 6:21 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <