[Humanist] 29.704 events: pedagogy cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 11 09:30:53 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:49:08 +0000
        From: Ray Siemens <siemens at uvic.ca>
        Subject: CFP: Innovations in Digital Humanities Pedagogy @ DH2016 (11 July 2016, Krakow PL)

Innovations in Digital Humanities Pedagogy:
Local, National, and International Training

A mini-conference and member meeting sponsored by the

International Digital Humanities Training Network / ADHO Training Group

     11 July 2016 @ Digital Humanities 2016, Krakow PL

     Applications Due: 15 February 2016

     Acceptance Notification: 15 March 2016

Context: Only recently have the digital humanities begun to take firm root in the humanities curriculum, with institutions around the world now committing significant resources toward developing DH and integrating it in standalone courses, graduate degrees and undergraduate majors and minors within and across departments. With this commitment comes the realization that such formal implementation of DH and its siblings (e.g. digital social sciences, digital media, etc.) at a degree-granting level requires articulation of core requirements and competencies, identification and hiring of faculty who are capable of teaching DH in a variety of learning environments (coding, systems, application of methods), evaluating a broad spectrum of student work, and beyond. It also changes the foundational principles of the work of those in our network, as training increasingly involves learning how to teach competencies at the same time as we ourselves develop and maintain them in light of fast-paced advances.

     The International Digital Humanities Training Network is comprised of organizers of Digital Humanities training institutes and schools worldwide, formalised as the ADHO Training Group. Our gatherings include a member meeting of the International Digital Humanities Training Network / ADHO Training Group as well as mini-conferences devoted to specific topics that are important to our mission.

     Our gathering at DH2015 in Sydney facilitated reporting on innovations in the practice of DH pedagogy across borders. At this meeting, further needs were identified, particularly related to collaborating on and sharing programmatic materials, syllabi, rubrics and assessment metrics. Our meeting at Digital Humanities 2016 continues this important work.

2016 Focus, and Call for Proposals: For our 2016 mini-conference and meeting, we invite proposals for lightning talks and points of discussion from all those involved in DH training on all topics relating to DH training.  We welcome proposals with a focus on

●      ways in which individual universities, colleges, and other educational institutions are extending DH in the classroom.

●      implementing DH pedagogical frameworks locally and working across institutions and training institutes to develop and collaborate on materials that can inform ways in which DH offerings and programs are formalized.

●      assessment techniques in DH curriculum. What types of assessment should occur in digital humanities courses? And, significantly, how might these assessment practices challenge existing university or community-based outcomes? We particularly desire talks that include involvement of students who have been assessed.

●      discussion of pedagogical materials, pre-circulated for critique and consideration. We are particularly interested in the submission of specific syllabi, tutorials, exercises, learning outcomes, assessment and rubrics that attendees might complete during the workgroup portion of the mini-conference.

●      any topics that might further inform our discussion about DH training.

Please send proposals of 1-2 pages with the subject heading “DH Pedagogy” to Ray Siemens, siemens at uvic.ca<mailto:siemens at uvic.ca>, by 15 February 2016.