[Humanist] 30.597 events: Science and Connoisseurship

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 21 10:29:16 CET 2016

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2016 23:34:50 +0000
        From: Alexander Wragge-Morley <awraggemorley at GMAIL.COM>
        Subject: BSHS Panel on Science and Connoisseurship: CFP

Dear All,

Michael Bycroft and I are seeking speakers for a session on science and
connoisseurship that we are organising for the BSHS Annual Conference in
July. Please see the CFP below for details, and feel free to circulate
it widely. We hope some of you will find it interesting!

Call for Papers: Session proposal organised by Michael Bycroft and Alex
Wragge-Morley

British Society for the History of Science Annual Conference, 6-9 July 2017

Science and Connoisseurship: New Perspectives

This session seeks to open up new directions in the growing field of
research examining the connections between science and connoisseurship.
Historians have generally examined these connections by focusing on
well-recognised moments in the emergence of 'art' as a category in
European thought, for instance by revealing the role of the Royal
Society of London in providing an institutional foundation for the arts
in the late 17th- and early 18th centuries, or by examining the
appropriation of artistic discourses and practices by scientific
practitioners in the Italian Renaissance. However, we would like to open
up the field to new lines of inquiry, reflecting recent developments in
historiography and theory.

These could include: 1. What can we learn by studying practices for
assessing the quality of material things, including art objects,
gemstones, scientific instruments, military equipment and consumer
goods? 2. Was connoisseurship an embodied discipline? To what extent (if
ever) were embodied practices for assessing art objects abandoned? 3.
Why did medics play such a crucial role in the emergence of
connoisseurial practices? 4. What can be done to combine the history of
connoissership with the history of regulatory institutions, from the
Bureau de Commerce in eighteenth-century France to the FDA in
twentieth-century America? 5. Which sciences drew on the practices of
connoisseurship? Historians often look at medicine and natural history
in the context of connoisseurial practices. But what about 'harder'
sciences such as mathematics, physics, astronomy and chemistry? And what
about the human sciences? 6. To what extent did practices for evaluting
works of art inform the sciences in non-European contexts? Do questions
about the connections between science and connoisseurship depend on
European understandings of the disciplinary distinctions between art and
science? 7. Were the practices of connoisseurship implicated in the
emergence of 'scientific' theories of race? 8. Did connoisseurial
practices play a significant role in the sciences of the 19th and 20th
centuries?

If you are interested in participating in this panel, please send a
paper abstract of no more than 250 words and a brief bio to either/both
Michael Bycroft (M.Bycroft at warwick.ac.uk) or Alex Wragge-Morley
(alexander.wragge-morley at ucl.ac.uk) by 10 January 2017 at the latest.
This will give us time to put the final session together ahead of the
BSHS's final deadline of 19 January.

All the best,

Alex