[Humanist] 29.438 the computing centre

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 31 09:34:45 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:54:26 +0000
        From: Simon Rae <simon.rae at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  29.434 the computing centre

Willard,

I think 'the passing of time' is one of the things lost.

When remembering computer centres with their huge, intently chattering mainframe machines and users I recall a story in The Psychology of Computer Programming by Gerald Weinberg (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1660754.The_Psychology_of_Computer_Programming). Post-grad students who were employed at a US University in the '60/70s to provide a computing helpdesk service to other users started complaining to the administration that they had suddenly been inundated with work and that they couldn't cope. On investigation it was realised that some short time before, in a reorganisation and general tidying-up of the computer suite (probably driven by Health&Safety issues!), the coffee machine had been taken away. Users, having collected their output, would stand untidily around the machine and chat through any errors that the output showed up, and more often than not they would solve their own problems by talking them through with other users. But when they didn't have the coffee machine to stand around they went straight to the helpdesk! Management had inadvertently deprived users from the benefits of interacting informally with other users (potentially from other disciplines) and learning for themselves at the water-cooler/coffee machine and had increased the workload on the helpdesk.

Modern, tiny, silent laptops with much more power than 'ye olde mainframes' unfortunately afford users the ability to compute in the privacy and seclusion of their office or home; talking through programming difficulties with non-faculty on an enforced interdisciplinary coffee break is now no longer an option.

Plus, of course, the exercise was good for you, computer centres were never very close!

Cheers
Simon
Simon Rae

twitter: @simonrae
retired Lecturer in Professional Development (Open University)