[Humanist] 29.436 events: gaming

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 30 08:36:33 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:36:54 -0600
        From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>
        Subject: Replaying Japan 2016

Replaying Japan 2016: 4th International Japan Game Studies Conference

"From Pac-Man to the present: Japanese Games between the local and global"

The 4th International Conference on Japan Game Studies will be held at
Leipzig University, Leipzig, Germany, from August 15 to 17 2016.

Proposals in Japanese are most welcome!

This conference is organized as a collaboration between the Japanese
Studies Department and the Japan Games Research Initiative at Leipzig
University, the Ritsumeikan Center for Game Studies and the University
of Alberta. The conference is the fifth collaboratively organized event
focusing broadly on Japanese game culture, education and industry. It
aims to bring together a large range of researchers and creators from a
broad range of different country to present and exchange their work.

Japanese video games have had great influence on gaming cultures around
the world. During this conference, we will continue our efforts to look
at the origins of Japanese gaming culture, placing a special focus on
the birth and life of Pac-Man, and think about its interaction with
global gaming culture and the role of localization.

We especially invite researchers and students to submit papers and
poster/demonstration proposals that are related to Pac-Man or issues of
localization.

We also invite a broad range of posters/demonstrations and papers
dealing with game culture, education and games and the Japanese game
industry from the perspectives of humanities, social sciences, business
or education. We encourage poster/demonstration proposals of games or
interactive projects. The range of possible topics includes (but is not
limited to):

Pac-Man and its legacy
Localization of games
Cross cultural study of games and toys
East Asian Game Culture and Market
Assessment of educational aspects of games
Preservation of games and game culture
Understanding player culture
Close readings of specific games
Comparative study of specific titles
Game theory
Game design
Game industry (in Japan and transnationally)
Marketing and financing the games industry
Games and transmedia phenomena
Games of chance

Please send anonymized abstracts of no more than 500 words in English or
Japanese via email to <replayingjapan at gmail.com> before January 20, 2016.

Figures, tables and references, which do not count towards the 500
words, may be included on a second page. The following information
should be in the accompanying email message:

Type of submission (poster/demonstration or paper): Title of submission:
Name of author(s):
Affiliation(s):
Address(es): Email address(es):

Notification of acceptance will be sent out by February 28, 2016.

While the language of this conference will be English, Abstracts,
Posters and PowerPoint slides will be translated into both languages and
communication assistance will be available for those who can’t present
in English.

We are working towards securing travel grants for graduate students and
hope to provide more information in due time.

The conference will be held just before GAMESCOM, possibly the world'™s
largest interactive entertainment trade fair held in Cologne, Germany,
from August 17 to 2. “ Consider adding a day after the conference to
visit the fair. We hope to provide information on visiting the fair from
Leipzig soon.

For more information write to <replayingjapan at gmail.com>.