[Humanist] 29.395 spatial humanities at DH2016?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 16 07:36:05 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:29:37 +0200
        From: Carmen Brando <carmen.brando at gmail.com>
        Subject: DH2016 workshop proposal in spatial humanities

Dear all,

We are two researchers in* digital humanities and geographic information
science *based in France and Italy. Our research has recently focused on
toponym resolution and related quality issues in existing Linked Data
gazetteers in the context of French literary texts. For the *Digital
Humanities conference (DH2016)*, we are very interested in* proposing a
workshop* about the aforementioned matter as well as several other topics
we think are crucial for the advance of research in the spatial humanities,
some of these may be:

- natural language processing for handling textual references,
- publication of geo-historical linked data sets and possible applications,
- quality assessment of geo-historical linked data sets
- geographic information retrieval applications,
- spatio-temporal data mining,
- historical cartography and visualisation,
- modeling uncertainty of spatio-temporal data,
- ...

We would like to ask you whether you are considering about submitting a
workshop proposal on any of the previously listed topics. We believe that
it would be worthwhile to* bring our efforts together and submit a common
proposal*. We've got in touch with the *GeoHumanities Special Interest
Group co-chairs and they agree to establish a common agenda.*

There are several institutional partners who are willing to participate,
these are listed below.
- Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale «A. Zampolli» of the National
Research Council (CNR) in Italy,
- French national mapping agency (IGN),
- Paris-Sorbonne University,
- Free University of Brussels,
- Università del Piemonte Orientale (the GeoLat project).

Also, some *members of the GeoHumanist SIG mailing list have already
expressed their interest*.

If you are interested in collaborating with us, *please send us a note*!

Many thanks for considering our request, we look forward to hearing from
you.

Kind regards,
Carmen BRANDO, PhD, researcher at the French National Mapping Agency (IGN)
– Carmen.Brando(at)ign(dot)fr
Francesca FRONTINI, PhD, researcher at the Italian National Research
Council (CNR) – Francesca.Frontini(at)ilc(dot)cnr(dot)it