[Humanist] 29.392 a middle ground?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 16 07:32:05 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>                       (63)
        Subject: Finding middle ground: method v. tool

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (62)
        Subject: differing sensibilities

        Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 10:32:26 -0500
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>

On Plato’s dialogues, this got me thinking about what may be considered
“middle ground” between the extremes of normal (close) reading and
analysis of text vs. almost-completely-automated tool analysis (topic
modeling, SNA, etc). My interest is in communicating the concepts behind
computer science (CS) within the context of art and humanities. Let’s
consider the example of teaching a student about semantic networks— the
task may be to read a text (e.g., one of Plato’s dialogues) and, by hand,
create concept maps and semantic networks of part of that text. Of course,
tools are still useful but this is more hands-on and interactive. In doing
so, the student learns about computer science (networks, nodes, the idea of
“relation”, abstraction) but also reads Plato's dialogues and reasons
about them. Both CS and humanities learning objectives are satisfied. I
don’t think this is true when using massive corpus based tools — where
the software does everything for you.

When I browse digital humanities repositories in the web, most of what I see
is a list of tools and how to use them, rather than a more methodological
approach.

I am working closely with a local art museum to surface diagrammatic
interpretations (think concept maps and flowcharts) of processes and
technique present re: an artwork. Some of this work involves analysis of the
written word (e.g., al Jazari’s “Book of Knowledge of Ingenious
Mechanical Devices”). The end goal is to allow the museum visitor to
informally learn CS concepts and have a meaningful cultural experience,
simultaneously. See this concept map experience example:

http://artnc.org/conceptMap/560  http://artnc.org/conceptMap/560

This manual, hands-on, approach is of significant interest to me as I am
less interested in automated tools "for a million books”. If any of you
share this interest or can point me in a DH direction where this middle
ground is covered in classes, or via humanist scholars, let me know.

-paul