[Humanist] 29.378 novel modes of thought (and action)?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 13 09:39:47 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 12:31:43 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: novel modes of thought

Here, I think, is in one brief paragraph a research programme for
digital humanities orientated to the future. It comes from Karl H.
Pribram's "The Role of Analogy in Transcending Limits in the Brain
Sciences", Daedalus 109.2 (1980): 19-38:

> Over the past century our civilization has produced several
> inventions that have initiated novel modes of thought. Each invention
> has had extensive practical consequences that have altered our daily
> life. Perhaps as significant in the long run are the modes of thought
> that accompanied or initiated the inventions, for these modes of
> thought form the context, the matrix, of the future: novelty is
> conceived in familiarity; inventions flow from taking inventories.
 > (p 20)

Were I to quibble with the above I'd pick on the word "thought",
substituting perhaps "thought and action". But this small (or is it
large?) reservation is not meant to express even a sliver of ingratitude
to Pribram for laying out so economically a rationale for a prime task
in our discipline. What are these novel modes of thought? How are they
novel? By now we should have enough evidence to make some good guesses,
I'd think.

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney