[Humanist] 29.365 going for the money?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 9 08:13:26 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:28:13 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: going for the money

The following quotation popped out at me from the pages of The
Harvest of a Quiet Eye, ed. Mackay and Ebison (1969) -- available
from Amazon for £.01 used. It surely belongs to the genre of
elders' complaints of a world going to Hell in a handbasket, but I
wonder if, factoring out the dim view from dimming eyes, taking
account of language we regard as sexist and applying these words
to the digitally affected humanities, truth does not survive?

> We are raising a generation of young men who will not look at any
> scientific project which does not have millions of dollars invested
> in it.... We are for the first time finding a scientific career well
> paid and attractive to a large number of our best go-getters. The
> trouble is that scientific work of the first quality is seldom done
> by the go-getters, and that the dilution of the intellectual milieu
> makes it progressively harder for the individual worker with any
> ideas to get a hearing.... The degradation of the position of the
> scientist as an independent worker and thinker to that of a morally
> irresponsible stooge in a science-factory has proceeded even more
> rapidly and devastatingly than I had expected.
>
> Norbert Wiener, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 4 November 1948,
> pp. 338-9 (http://thebulletin.org, Archives...)

Comments?

Group, University of Western Sydney