[Humanist] 29.362 DHQ: changes to submission process

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 8 09:25:30 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 11:16:11 -0400
        From: Julia Flanders <j.flanders at neu.edu>
        Subject: Changes to DHQ submission process

DHQ is pleased to announce some changes to our submission and editorial process. These are designed to help us handle an increased volume of submissions that has caused delays in our reviewing and feedback to authors. To enable us to continue to provide high-quality review feedback, and to reduce the time between submission and review decision, we will be making the following changes:

	• We are introducing a two-stage peer review process. Until now, DHQ’s peer reviewers and editors have been providing detailed revision feedback on all submissions, including many that are not yet fully framed as articles or fall outside the journal’s scope. In our new process, the first stage of peer review will identify articles that meet the basic criteria of submission as outlined on our submission guidelines. We will send these on for detailed feedback from reviewers. Submissions that are at a more preliminary stage and those that are outside DHQ’s scope will receive early brief feedback advising them on how to prepare the article for resubmission if appropriate. We will continue to offer mentoring to authors who are new to the field or would like to receive guidance of any kind.

	• We will consider articles in cohorts at two-month intervals (deadlines are listed below), which will enable us to streamline the editorial and review workflow. These cohorts will apply only to the review process; articles will continue to be published as soon as they are ready. Submission deadlines are every other month on the 15th of the month (except for November) starting in January: January 15, March 15, May 15, July 15, September 15, November 1. Articles submitted before the deadline are welcome but will not be considered until the deadline.

We welcome comments on this new process and we will be monitoring the impact of these changes on our article handling and on publishing outcomes. We also invite new peer reviewers to join our team, to help us manage the growing volume of research our field is generating. Please visit http://openjournals.neu.edu/ojs/dhq/user/register to register. Guidelines for peer reviewers can be found at http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/submissions/peerReviewing.html.

Our next submission deadline will be January 15, 2016. Articles already submitted prior to this announcement will not affected by this change.
We'd like to extend our warm thanks to all of our peer reviewers who work so hard on behalf of the community, and also to our authors and readership for their support and engagement. We couldn't do it without you!

best, Julia

Julia Flanders
Editor in chief, Digital Humanities Quarterly
Northeastern University