[Humanist] 29.358 do we know the Horty Project?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 7 08:13:05 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 11:57:39 +0100
        From: John Levin <john at anterotesis.com>
        Subject: The Horty Project

Dear List,

I recently came across mention of the "Horty Project", set up by John
Horty in the late 50s / early 60s to use computers to search
Pennsylvania legislation. The immediate need was to replace the term
'retarded child' in the acts, but that there were many other
applications became obvious.

A brief account of this can be found at:
http://ejlt.org/article/view/15/20
and
http://what.csc.villanova.edu/~cassel/2500/S2008/Law4.pdf [pdf]

My googling has returned little of substance. So my first question is
whether the members of this list can provide further information of this
project.

But my more interesting question is whether this has registered in the
Digital Humanities, and in its histories of computerised textual analysis?

Thanks,

John

--
John Levin