[Humanist] 29.344 a database of databases

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 2 10:38:47 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:59:26 -0700
        From: Quinn Dombrowski <quinnd at berkeley.edu>
        Subject: Re:  29.337 a database of databases? a VR wish-list?

Hi Amir,

I don't know of any "database of databases". Part of it, I think, is that
databases (more than tools, and probably more than stand-alone data sets)
can be quite discipline-specific, so you might have more luck looking for
directories of databases on a discipline-by-discipline basis, and using a
browser extension like Wappalyzer to figure out what CMS is being used. If
you're coming at this from a CMS-use perspective, there's also a lot of
websites (for projects, departments, programs, centers, etc.) that may not
think of themselves as a "database", but which use the same technologies.

For what it's worth, I'm working on compiling a list of DH sites I know of
that use Drupal as part of my "Drupal for Humanists" website
(http://drupal.forhumanists.org). I haven't gotten around to posting what I
have yet, but I hope to within the next month or so.

Cheers,
Quinn

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 9:37 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <