[Humanist] 29.340 losing the humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 1 07:25:47 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>                   (160)
        Subject: Re:  29.336 losing the humanities

  [2]   From:    Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>                    (15)

  [3]   From:    "Dr. Hartmut Krech" <kr538 at zfn.uni-bremen.de>             (68)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 29.333 losing the humanities

        Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 09:27:14 +0200
        From: Tim Smithers <tim.smithers at cantab.net>

Dear Willard,

Please don't confuse measurement with what accountants do.
Accountants count things--dollars, euros, pounds, widgets,
workers, etc--and then perform additions and subtractions upon
these numbers.  All this counting and calculating involves no
measurement.  Quantifying is not measurement.

Similarly, counting citations or publications or other easily
counted beans, is not measurement, but it is accountancy.

Measurement necessarily involves a proper mapping of an
empirically estimated quantity onto a well (and pre-) defined
scale of numerical values shown to vary in a way that conforms
to the way the estimated quantity changes.  This is not easy
to do.

Furthermore, the imagination and inventiveness and ingenuity
and making skills needed to devise and build an instrument
with which to perform an empirical measurement well enough to
gain anything from all this, is typically a lot, whatever the
discipline is.  And there is, I would say, a great deal of
necessary art and humanity in this doing of measurement.

Kuhn was right to draw attention to the inadequacy of Lord
Kelvin's dictum, "If you cannot measure, your knowledge is
meager and unsatisfactory," as a basis for understanding the
essentials of work in the Physical Sciences, but Kuhn's paper,
"The Function of Measurement in Modern Physical Science,"
fails to even touch upon the human endeavour of trying to
measure things, and the imagination, inventiveness, ingenuity,
perseverance, joy, and sadness this involves.  People make
measurements.  In the Sciences we like to pretend this is so
unimportant that it's almost untrue.  The Humanities are
needed to remind us, and everybody else who looks upon the
Sciences with marvel and envy, that it is necessarily true.

There is no science without humans and their arts; there is no
technology without humans and their arts; there is no
engineering without humans and their arts; there is no
mathematics without humans and their arts.  And there is no
need for all this science, technology, engineering, and maths
without humans and their arts.

When we count beans and do sums with the numbers our vision
and minds seem to be prevented from seeing this reality.  This
is why Bean Counting makes life so much easier for the people
who are supposed to manage what we do: they just have to count
things and proclaim that the numbers tell us everything we
need to know.

What would help the Humanities would be a whole lot more
Scientists, Technologists, Engineers, and Mathematicians
showing everybody that the Arts and Humanities are an integral
and needed part of what they do each day.  Together, we should
pity the Bean Counters and persist in showing them what they
are missing, not just wail against them.

Best regards,

Tim