[Humanist] 29.504 new ADHO Steering Committee chair

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 25 09:22:43 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 09:45:26 -0500
        From: Hannah L Jacobs <hannahlj at gmail.com>
        Subject: ADHO Announces New Steering Committee Chair

Website announcement:
http://adho.org/announcements/2015/adho-announces-new-steering-committee-chair

On November 11, John Nerbonne tendered his resignation as ADHO Steering
Committee Chair in order to make way for new leadership.

John was unanimously elected Chair of the Steering Committee (SC) at our
Lausanne meetings in the summer of 2014, while serving as Chair of the
Conference Coordinating Committee.  The minutes of that meeting note that
John's brief words of acceptance focused primarily on his goal of bringing
new and diverse communities into ADHO, a cause for which he has worked
tirelessly and on many fronts.

The record of the SC over the past several years reflects John's numerous
and important contributions to ADHO. Among his many other accomplishments
during his tenure on the SC was the hard work he did to formalize the
formation of the ADHO Foundation as a legal entity in the Netherlands—a
crucial step in the organization's evolution—and his dogged pursuit of all
the reforms envisioned as part of ADHO’s multi-year strategic planning
process.  Just a few weeks ago John convened a small but important summit
to move that process forward yet again.

We look forward to his continuing collegial presence in Digital Humanities,
of course as a member of the informal fellowship of past SC Chairs that
does so much to inform our work, but also in an advisory capacity for the
complex reforms now underway. And above all, we would like to thank John
for his long service to ADHO and the Digital Humanities generally.

A new chair was elected on November 20: Karina van Dalen-Oskam. More about
her can be found on https://www.huygens.knaw.nl/vandalen/?lang=en. Below
goes her first message to all involved in or interested in ADHO.

Dear fellow digital humanists,

I have just been informed that I have been elected as the new Chair of the
ADHO Steering Committee, to serve for the remainder of the current term,
ending at DH2016 in Krakow. I will try to serve ADHO as best as I can as
interim Chair.

What I love about ADHO, and Digital Humanities in general, is that all
people involved share the wish for innovation and collaboration. Innovation
in our research, through collaboration with others – and best of all, with
more and more diverse others. We want to draw everybody in, and want to
make everybody feel welcome. That is a good thing. However, in the last few
weeks, we found out the hard way that we deal with significant cultural
differences in our ever-growing world-wide organization. Communication
strategies that work well in one culture can be harmful and
counterproductive in others. The good thing is that we have representatives
of many different cultures in our midst, who can help in finding out the
best ways to go forward.

The first thing I have asked the Steering Committee to do, is to establish
a protocol or a set of rules/guidelines for dealing with these fundamental
cultural issues. We will not be the only organization that runs into this
kind of problems. I have asked all members of the Steering Committee to do
some research, and I would welcome input from others as well. Can you find
guidelines that we could adopt/adapt for ADHO? Do colleagues from other
international organizations have suggestions based on their own experience?
Are there policy makers who can help? Please send your material and your
own suggestions to me personally at karina.van.dalen at huygens.knaw.nl

I will gather all information and together with the Steering Committee
decide on which rules to follow for the remainder of my term. When we have
selected a proper set of guidelines we will return to dealing with our
daily business – and with a much better chance of success. I’d like to
receive your ideas on Monday November 30 at the latest.

You can mail me in the following languages (in order of preference): Dutch,
English, German, Afrikaans, French. I will answer you in Dutch or English.
I wish I had the time to add more of your languages to my short list. As
you know, I am not a native speaker of English. This means that if you read
something strange or funny in my messages, that is probably due to my
non-native English. And if you would feel insulted by my words – then
something has really gone wrong language-wise and/or culture-wise! In that
case, please contact me personally, so I can take away any worries or
explain in a better way what I meant.

I am very much looking forward to collaborating with all of you.

Yours sincerely,

Karina van Dalen-Oskam

Hannah L. Jacobs