[Humanist] 29.477 events: literature and science

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 14 10:15:09 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 09:25:17 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: British Society for Literature and Science conference

British Society for Literature and Science
Annual Conference 2016 --“ Call for Papers
http://www.bsls.ac.uk/2015/10/bsls-annual-conference-2016-call-for-papers/

The eleventh annual conference of the British Society for Literature and
Science will take place at the University of Birmingham, from Thursday 7
April until Saturday 9 April 2016.

Keynote talks will be given by Professor Harriet Ritvo (MIT), Professor
Sharon Ruston (University of Lancaster), and Professor Alice Roberts
(University of Birmingham).

The BSLS invites proposals for twenty-minute papers, or panels of three
papers, on any subjects within the field of literature and science.

In addition, we are hoping to put together sessions with looser,
non-traditional formats, and would welcome proposals from any person or
persons interested in making presentations of approximately ten minutes
from notes rather than completed papers. Our hope is that the latter
format will encourage longer Q&A sessions with more discussion. If you
have a topic or research area which would suit such a discussion, we
would also like to hear from you.

Please send an abstract (c.200 words) and short biographical note to the
conference organiser, Will Tattersdill (w.j.tattersdill at bham.ac.uk), by
no later than 5pm GMT, Friday 4 December 2015. Please include the
abstract and biographical note in the body of the email and not in an
attachment. All proposers of a paper or panel will receive notification
of the results by the end of January 2015.

The conference fee will be waived for two graduate students in exchange
for written reports on the conference, to be published in the BSLS
Newsletter. If you are interested in being selected for one of these
awards, please mention this when sending in your proposal. To qualify
you will need to be registered for a postgraduate degree at the time of
the conference.

Group, University of Western Sydney