[Humanist] 29.468 events: Canadian Society conference; Huxley Memorial Lecture

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 11 09:25:42 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Royal Anthropological Institute <admin at therai.org.uk>     (24)
        Subject: Huxley Lecture

  [2]   From:    Stéfan Sinclair <sgsinclair at gmail.com>                   (18)
        Subject: Conference CFP:  CSDH/SCHN Conference 2016

        Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 12:01:21 +0000
        From: Royal Anthropological Institute <admin at therai.org.uk>

Royal Anthropological Institute
2015 Huxley Memorial Lecture

Professor Robin Dunbar,
Department of Experimental Psychology,
University of Oxford

"Dunbar’s Number: How Constrained Is Your Social World?"

Friday 4 December 2015 at 5.30pm,
the BP Lecture Theatre,
Clore Education Centre,
the British Museum,
Great Russell Street,
London WC1B 3DG.
4 December 2015.
http://us7.campaign-archive1.com/?u=94e3bf4c82be9b8d19299eb8a&id=1e6f49fdc6&e=f418a49f00

The Social Brain Hypothesis, first proposed in the 1980s, predicted a natural grouping size for modern humans of about 150, now known as Dunbar’s Number. Since then, a plethora of comparative and neuroimaging research has confirmed both the Social Brain Hypothesis and the predicted size of human social groups, and shown that Dunbar’s Number applies also to personal social networks. More importantly, we have in the process learned a great deal more about the nature of the social relationships that underpin the Social Brain Hypothesis. I will explore the cognitive and ecological reasons why social groups are limited in size, why they have the peculiar layered structure that they do, and how modern humans have broken through the constraints on social group size that these impose.

The event is free, but places must be booked. Please book your place at http://therai.us7.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=94e3bf4c82be9b8d19299eb8a&id=ae5d39deeb&e=f418a49f00

Enquiries to: RAI, 50 Fitzroy St, London W1T 5 BT; tel 020 7387 0455; email (mailto:admin at therai.org.uk)

Location : The British Museum's Clore Centre
Great Russell Street
London
WC1B 3DG
United Kingdom