[Humanist] 29.464 events: corpus-based research; life into data

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 10 09:57:27 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (11)
        Subject: Corpus-based Research in the Humanities

  [2]   From:    Andrew Prescott <Andrew.Prescott at glasgow.ac.uk>           (36)
        Subject: Symposium: capture of life into data

        Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 11:07:49 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Corpus-based Research in the Humanities
Warsaw, Poland

A final programme for the conference is now available at
http://crh4.ipipan.waw.pl/programme/

Group, University of Western Sydney

        Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:50:08 +0000
        From: Andrew Prescott <Andrew.Prescott at glasgow.ac.uk>

Symposium: Data Bodies: You are My Data,
Waterman’s Arts Centre, Brentford, Saturday November 14 11.00-16.00

Though social networks are at the heart of how we live, circulating
knowledge and fostering innovation, they are also closely monitored, leading
to hyper-centralised forms of surveillance. This symposium studies how
people contribute to ‘a permanent capture of life into data’ through
daily routines of surfing, shopping, and lifelogging. It will bring together
artists, academics, technologists and users, to instigate public debate
around issues of privacy in relation to big data capture, raise awareness
regarding the scale and applications of those phenomena, propose ways of
responding to loss of privacy, and consider avenues for resistance to the
risks of self-quantification.

Chaired by Dr Maria Chatzichristodoulou aka Maria X and Prof. Phil Hammond
(London South Bank University) Speakers: Nick Tandavanitj (Blast Theory),
Anna Dumitriu, Sarah T Gold, Marc Garrett (Furtherfield), Daphne Dragona
(Transmediale), Dr Maria Sourbati (University of Brighton), Dr Perry Keller
(King's College), Emilie Giles and Alan Waldock, Prof. James Connely
(University of Hull), Kasia Molga.

Part of Watermans' Digital Performance Weekender, Saturday 14 & Sunday 15
November: http://watermans.ticketsolve.com/shows/873541456/events As our
Festival events are free, not everyone who asks for tickets comes to our
events. To make sure we have a full house we allocate more tickets than
there are seats. We do our best to get the numbers right, but unfortunately
we occasionally have to disappoint people. Admission is on a first come,
first served basis, so please arrive in good time for the start of the
event.

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/data-bodies-you-are-my-data-symposium-tickets-18684358419?aff=eac2

Andrew Prescott FSA FRHistS
Professor of Digital Humanities
AHRC Theme Leader, Fellow for Digital Transformations
University of Glasgow

andrew.prescott at glasgow.ac.uk
@ajprescott
07743895209