[Humanist] 29.457 strata of temporalities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 6 07:37:37 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 19:25:51 -0500 (EST)
        From: lachance at chass.utoronto.ca
        Subject: Long Now and the strata of temporalities

Willard

At long last I have gotten around to reading Stewart Brand's <i>The Clock
of the Long Now</i>. In the 7th chapter "The Order of Civilization" he
draws upon the work of historian Eugen Rosenstock-Huessy to posit various
layers with different speeds for innovation and stabilization.

I thought of the idea of layers proceeding with different temporalities
might be applied to a computing in the humanities context. The project,
the career of the scholar, the life-cycle of the centre or department, the
longue durée of the discipline... how each unfolds at its own pace and how
some are the source of innovation and some are the anchors of continuity.

--
Francois Lachance
Scholar-at-large