[Humanist] 29.443 ontologizing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 2 12:26:13 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 11:10:31 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: on modelling & ontologizing

The following, from G. E. R. Lloyd's immensely important and
impressively brief new book, Analogical Investigations (2015), helps us
along:

> Epistemology... is not the bogey-man it has been represented as being
> by those who suspect that it is merely a covert way of denying
> others' claims to know. The multidimensionality of what is there to
> be known cannot help but generate a multidimensionality of ways of
> knowing. (pp. 25f)

How does Mr Turing's scheme match up with this multidimensionality? Is
it necessarily reductive, and if so, is its reductiveness (my
spell-checker objects, so I stop to teach it a new word) necessarily a
dead-end?

Group, University of Western Sydney