[Humanist] 29.9 DARIAH et al: congratulations, but what is it?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat May 9 08:25:10 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 14:21:15 +0000
        From: Gabrielle Dean <gnodean at jhu.edu>
        Subject: Re:  29.7 DARIAH-Ireland launch

Congratulations! What is DARIAH?

I do mean it about the congratulations--very cool.

But I would also appreciate a more consistent practice of acronym unpacking in this space. Not to single anyone out, really; acronyms are rampant here and everywhere in academia and frequently go undefined.

I read many, many, many announcements of events/projects/conferences/publications on this lovely list (happy birthday!)--in fact, I read it in large part for those announcements, so I can tweet about appropriate information to a group of related researchers. But if I have to go to your website, find your "about" page, and read the first paragraph before I know what your acronym stands for (much less what you do), well, that is a bit of a barrier. Not hugely onerous, but a barrier nonetheless.

Please make it easier for those of us who are outside your immediate community to know who you are! Especially in these days of the Digital Diversity conference (http://digitaldiversity2015.org/), it seems a good thing to remember about how to make our activities more broadly accessible.

Thanks,
Gabrielle

***
Gabrielle Dean, PhD
Curator of Literary Rare Books and Manuscripts
Johns Hopkins University
3400 North Charles
Baltimore MD 21218