[Humanist] 28.861 encoding school

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 07:42:52 CEST 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:12:07 -0400
        From: Elisa Beshero-Bondar <ebb8 at pitt.edu>
        Subject: Digital Mitford Coding School, May 27 - 31, 2015 at Pitt-Greensburg

Dear colleagues,

Would you help to spread word to your peers and interested students who
might benefit from participating in this year's Digital Mitford Workshops
and Coding School, by sharing the following announcement? The workshop is a
great opportunity for graduate students and postdocs, or faculty at any
stage seeking experience with Digital Humanities research that they can
document on a CV.

THE DIGITAL MITFORD'S CODING SCHOOL:

We call for participants and prospective new editors to join us from Wed.
May 27 through Sunday May 31, 2015  for the Third Annual Workshop Series
(or Coding School) of the Digital Mitford: the Mary Russell Mitford Archive,
at http://mitford.pitt.edu. Please join us if you want to learn text
encoding methods in Digital Humanities through hands-on participation in a
large-scale digital archive project now well underway. We are happy to
teach what we know and are learning, and to orient you to coding with
hands-on experience on our active project as part of our end-of-May
three-day workshop series.  Our workshops are held at the lovely
Pitt-Greensburg campus (http://greensburg.pitt.edu) during the last week of
May 2015. We expect people to arrive on  Wednesday May 27 and depart on
Sunday. May 31, with our workshops running during the days from Thursday
morning May 28 through Saturday evening May 30.

WHO COMES?

Though we draw our active editors from researchers of 19th-century
literature, we hope that all who join the Mitford project (whatever their
primary research field) will find good resources for professional scholarly
research and publication, and gain beneficial experience for individual
projects. Joining our workshop leads to a free first-year membership in the
Text Encoding Initiative, the international consortium establishing best
practices for encoding of digital texts.  We anticipate hosting two kinds
of audiences: 1) those who wish to join the Mitford project as active
editors, and 2) equally welcome, those who wish to learn our methods to
apply them to their own projects. Please note that the second audience must
pay a registration fee to participate, but our fee is waived for continuing
Digital Mitford editors and those we approve as new editors. More on this
below.

WHAT WE TEACH AND SHARE:

   - Discussion of Best Practices for editing digital scholarly editions
   - Opportunity to join an active and intensive "dig site" for important
   data on networks of women writers, theaters, and publishers from the 18th
   and 19th centuries
   - Hands-on Learning of Text Encoding, including the following:
      - TEI XML encoding
      - Autotagging and regular expression matching to prepare digital texts
      - Hands-on experience with XPath, code schemas, XSLT, and more
   - Individual and Group Instruction, working with our Explanatory Guides
   and Resources See http://www.pitt.edu/~ebb8/DHDS/ and scroll to
   Explanatory Guides.)

HOW TO JOIN THE WORKSHOPS:

First, please send me an e-mail (to ebb8 at pitt.edu <ebb8 at pitt.edu>) by
Saturday April 11, 2015, indicating your interest in the MItford
Workshops and in what role you wish to participate, whether as an Active
Editor (or Advisor, or member of the Data Visualization Group) or as a
Learner interesting in our text encoding methods but pursuing your own
project agenda.  This year, in order to help support the expense of hosting
the workshops, we require a registration fee for Learning participants who
will not be active editors on the project. The registration fee is waived
for ongoing editors and for those whom we approve in advance as new editors
 on the project. If you wish to join us as a New Editor, we ask you to
apply for this position (about which see below). For all others who come
to learn our methods, registration fees are as follows:

1) Students, Adjunct Instructors, or Independent Scholars: $60.

2) Full-Time Faculty Members and Librarians: $180.

All registration fees are to be paid by check to the University of
Pittsburgh at Greensburg, and are due by mail by May 15, 2015.  Please mail
checks to: The Digital Mitford Project, c/o Elisa Beshero-Bondar, U. of
Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Drive, Greensburg, PA 15601-5804.
(Donations to the project above and beyond this amount are, of course,
quite welcome.)

If you wish to become an Active Editor on the project for the long-term,
and are willing to dedicate time and research to the Digital Mitford
project beyond our workshop, to help develop digital editions, write
editorial annotations and headnotes, research prosopography data; that is, if
you are interested in having your name as a researcher be affiliated with
the Digital Mitford project as we grow and develop, we ask that you write
an application letter indicating your interest in working with us, and
responding to the following questions:

   - What draws you to editing Mitford's letters and literary texts?
   - Which of her texts (or what kinds of texts by Mitford) are you
   particularly interested in helping with? (Letters, drama, poetry, prose
   fiction, essays, life-writing...?)
   - The Digital Mitford project is dedicated for the next three years to
   working on Mitford's letters and published texts from 1810 - 1825. Please
   indicate if you have a particular interest in Mitford's work from this
   period in your application.

Applications may be written in the body of an e-mail message and addressed
to me at ebb8 at pitt.edu <ebb8 at pitt.edu> by Saturday April 11, 2015. The
Mitford team will review the applications, and waive the registration fee
by late April for those best qualified to join as active editors. Depending
on the level of response to the workshop and available accommodation space,
applications for Active Editor positions may be competitive.

BUDGETING FOR THE MAY 2015 WORKSHOPS:

   - We will cover the costs of residence in suites (with kitchens and good
   wireless internet) at the Pitt- Greensburg campus and will arrange for
   licenses for an extended (90-day) period to use our XML editing software
   <oXygen/>.
   - We cannot cover the costs of travel to Pitt-Greensburg, but we can and
   do coordinate rides from the Pittsburgh International Airport and the
   Amtrak train stations in Pittsburgh and in Greensburg.
   - We ask each participant to investigate local funding sources to help
   cover the costs of travel here. If all else fails, we will happily make it
   possible for you to attend the workshops through Skype as we have done in
   previous years, but it's best if we can all be together in person!

Thanks, everyone, for reading and sharing with interested parties! We look
forward to seeing many new and familiar faces at beautiful Pitt-Greensburg
at the end of May! Please feel free to write me with any questions in
advance of our registration and application due date of Sat. April 11.

Sincerely,
Elisa Beshero-Bondar
Principal Editor: Digital Mitford
--