[Humanist] 28.836 analysis of European newspapers? attitudes to sharing?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Mar 20 07:13:51 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Kees Waterman <kees.waterman at dans.knaw.nl>                (42)
        Subject: 10M pages, European newspapers: Expressions of Interest
                sought: Research tools (short deadline)

  [2]   From:    Frank Lynam <flynam at TCD.IE>                               (21)
        Subject: Attitudes to digital data sharing in archaeology survey

        Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2015 10:17:20 +0100
        From: Kees Waterman <kees.waterman at dans.knaw.nl>
        Subject: 10M pages, European newspapers: Expressions of Interest sought: Research tools (short deadline)

The Europeana Cloud project aims to develop use cases:
"we seek expressions of interest (EoI) from researchers in Europe
to develop tools or to test existing tools within a WorkPackage
of E-Cloud (Europeana), to engage and analyse content of
ca. 10 million digitized European newspaper pages."

-----------

The Europeana Cloud project is seeking researchers in Europe who are
interested in innovative ways of working and researching with historic newspapers

Via the Europeana Newspapers project a corpus of newspapers drawn from the
digitised collections of over 20 libraries in Europe has been created -
see http://theeuropeanlibrary.org/tel4/newspapers/

This corpus includes over 10 million pages of OCR'd full text and images,
and metadata records relating to several million more issues. Much of the
data is in the public domain and available for re-use. Some work
has been done on named entity recognition for the corpus.

Within Work Package 3 of Europeana Cloud, developers and human-computer
interaction experts now wish to work with digital humanities or social
sciences researchers  to build services and tools that exploit this data
and help answer research questions that cannot practically be researched
without the technology.

For example:
- What is the typical sentiment in the reporting of different papers on
specific historical events?
- To which locations are historical protagonists tied in the reporting and
how does this evolve over time?

Within the Europeana Cloud project, similar such tools have been built
before for early modern philosophers and musicologists.

If you or your research group is interested, please fill in the short form
(10 lines maximum) at
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KGbZFSaEsYKf_3iYvsZNSuKNz1zNS2y4m1hmzGWN06<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KGbZFSaEsYKf_3iYvsZNSuKNz1zNS2y4m1hmzGWN06c/viewform?usp=send_form>c/viewform?usp=send_form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KGbZFSaEsYKf_3iYvsZNSuKNz1zNS2y4m1hmzGWN06c/viewform?usp=send_form>

Deadline for responses is Friday March 27.
[Note: the form says March 13, an appeal that can be ignored.]
Kind regards,

Kees Waterman
Senior datamanager
+31(0)6 1367 3502
kees.waterman at dans.knaw.nl<mailto:kees.waterman at dans.knaw.nl>
Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS promotes sustained access to digital research data.
DANS is an institute of KNAW and NWO.
DANS | Anna van Saksenlaan 51 | 2593 HW The Hague | P.O. Box 93067 | 2509 AB The Hague | +31 70 349 44 50 |info at dans.knaw.nl<mailto:info at dans.knaw.nl> | www.dans.knaw.nl