[Humanist] 28.834 events: government & humanities; digital history; pedagogy; tools

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 19 07:37:03 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Tessa Whitehouse <m.t.whitehouse at qmul.ac.uk>              (31)
        Subject: Digital Tools Workshop

  [2]   From:    Melissa Terras <melissaterras at gmail.com>                  (55)
        Subject: Centre for Science and Policy Annual Conference - How can
                government make better use of expertise and evidence from
                the humanities - 14 April 2015

  [3]   From:    Adam Crymble <adam.crymble at gmail.com>                     (28)
        Subject: Digital History Seminar - 24 March - London

  [4]   From:    "Shrout, Anelise" <anshrout at davidson.edu>                 (42)
        Subject: CFP: Undergraduate #DH workshop at DH2015

        Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 07:37:36 +0000
        From: Tessa Whitehouse <m.t.whitehouse at qmul.ac.uk>

A reminder about this training event on 25 March - there are a few
remaining places, so please do register if you'd like to attend.

Workshop: Digital Tools for Researchers in the Humanities
Wednesday 25 March, 1.30-4.30pm (Queen’s Building W.206)

This 3-hour workshop is dedicated to digital research methods for
faculty and graduate students in HSS. It will introduce you to basic
software that will allow you to collect, analyse, and visualise your
research materials. Led by Julianne Nyhan, the session will comprise a
45 minute introductory lecture on the digital humanities, and a 2-hour
practical lab. Please register here.

You are requested to bring your own laptops and to install two pieces
of software on them in advance: Zotero and Paper Machines. Zotero is a
tool that helps you collect, organize, cite, and share your research
sources. Paper Machines is an open-source extension for the Zotero
bibliographic management software that allows researchers to generate
analyses and visualizations of user-provided corpora, without
requiring extensive computational resources or technical knowledge.

Other resources and methods that will be touched upon are Tapor and
TEI by Example.

Schedule

1.30-2.15pm Lecture

2.15-2.30 Coffee

2.30-4.30 Lab

You can arrive from 1pm for help if you are having problems installing
Zotero or Paper Machines. We will also have a couple of spare laptops
with the programmes installed in case of emergencies.

This event is free to attend and has been organised and funded by QMUL
Digital Initiatives Network and the Centre for Early Modern Mapping
News and Networks. Please email Ruth Ahnert if you have any queries (r.r.ahnert at qmul.ac.uk
)

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/workshop-digital-tools-for-researchers-in-the-humanities-tickets-15756984565