[Humanist] 28.828 the rise of "just plain theory"?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 18 07:26:22 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 08:55:06 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: the rise of "just plain theory"

The classicist Robert Connor and others have observed that just when
computing began to spread into the humanities literary scholars were
abandoning the kind of activity with which computing could most easily help
and taking to the theoretical high ground. Some think this cannot be a
coincidence, though it seems clear to me that fledgling digital humanities
could not have been simply the cause. My question is this: has anyone
written from an historical perspective about why "just plain theory"
(Culler's phrase) became so attractive when it did?

Many thanks for any pointers.

Group, University of Western Sydney