[Humanist] 28.823 "digital humanities": first occurrence

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 17 07:38:15 CET 2015

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Subject: Re:  28.822 "digital humanities": first occurrence

        Subject: RE: 28.814 "digital humanities": first occurrence?

        Subject: Re: 28.818 "digital humanities": first occurrence

  [11]  From:    rca2t <ontoligent at gmail.com>                              (13)

  [12]  From:    "Robert A. Amsler" <amsler at cs.utexas.edu>                  (2)

        Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 02:07:06 -0400
        From: Jim Ridolfo <ridolfo at gmail.com>

Re digital humanities first, see 2000 UCSB advertisement on MLA JIL -
http://rid.olfo.org/2014/01/mlajil/. Also noteworthy that "digital
rhetoric" occurred the same year. Jim

--
Jim Ridolfo, PhD
Assistant Professor of Writing, Rhetoric, and Digital Studies

        Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 23:41:29 -0700
        From: Charles FAULHABER <cbf at berkeley.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks!

Simon Rae wrote to me privately with the results of an Ngram search for
"humanities computing" and "Digital Humanities". The first appearance of the
latter in the Google Books corpus is in 1994, although without looking at
the original texts it is not clear whether in those early years the phrase
had its current meaning. Simon comments: "I think the meaning of DH has
changed over its brief history, originally it looks like it was used to
refer to digital resources rather than the later implication of digital
(i.e. computer based) tasks & processes that people employ to work on their
resources in the humanities."

Charles Faulhaber
cbf at berkeley.edu